Mechanicsburg, PA (March 28, 2020; Updated July 17, 2020) – In direct response to recent mandatory travel and mass gathering restrictions in the United States, and in recognition of our NEMSMBR participants who are actively on the front lines of the global COVID-19 response, the Board of Directors of the National EMS Memorial Bike Ride announces the following:
- 2020 East Coast Route has been canceled.
- 2020 Southern Route has been canceled.
- 2020 Midwest Route has been canceled.
- 2020 Colorado Route has been canceled.
- 2020 West Coast Route has been canceled.
The Board of Directors and Route Coordinators will continue to monitor the feasibility of the 2020 West Coast Route and remain dedicated to planning alternate cycling events in line with the NEMSMBR mission if and when conditions become favorable.
This decision did not come in haste from our Board of Directors, in fact, included the most passionate, emotional and engaged discussion in the history of our organization. Just like you, we are dedicated to our Mission, Vision and Values and were so excited to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of The National EMS Memorial Bike Ride on East Coast, Southern and Midwest Routes.
The NEMSMBR leadership is proud to announce that it is planning a new Virtual Route which will allow participation in a new event that protects social distancing practices. More information about the Virtual Route will be released as soon as possible.
A plan for refund and registration transfer is currently being developed for those who have already registered for the canceled routes and/or ordered merchandise. Registered participants will receive individualized instructions in the coming weeks.
It is important to note that we are continuing to work with the National EMS Memorial Service, National EMS Memorial Foundation and Air Medical Memorial to support rescheduling and alternative plans to our cherished respective memorial events.
As a currently registered 2020 participant, we wanted you to receive this information before it is circulated to the general public. We would ask you to refrain from posting information about these cancellations until you see the official corporate posts early next week.
You will receive a direct notice when the refund and transfer plan has been formulated. Please be patient as our operations team members, as you, are currently working on the front lines in their respective communities.
Through long distance bicycling events we honor the service and commitment of EMS Professionals
To reduce illness, injury and mortality through recognition and promotion of physical and mental well being
- Semper Memoria: We always remember.
- Wellness: We encourage health living through physical, emotional, social and spiritual fitness.
- Awareness: We acknowledge the inherent risks faced by our industry professionals.
- Advocacy: We support efforts to reduce illness and injury through peer support and camaraderie.
- Honor: We respect all Emergency Medical Service Professionals, their commitment to EMS, their families and their communities.
# # #